Friday, June 3, 2011

Michael's Birth Day

April 27th was a lengthy, adventurous, magical day. It was the day our son Michael Adam James was born ~ 11:54pm. Joe and I chose to use a Birth Center in lieu of a Hospital for many reasons. A lot of family and friends voiced their hesitancy but we followed our hearts and stuck with our plan. I had dreamed of a natural birth and the hospital environment was not very conducive to our desired birth plan. We couldn’t be happier with our choice.


We were the center of attention throughout the 6 hours we were there in labor. The midwife and nurse were by my side the whole time. If I were in a hospital we would have seen the doctor for cervical checks and the last few pushes; a lot less personal.

We had a fabulous midwife. She meshed with Joe’s and my personality and it made the atmosphere light with a touch of humor. I had a great team in place. Throughout the labor I had Joe, Rita (the midwife), Amber (the nurse), Sabrina (my doula), Mom and Ashley. I know it sounds like a lot of people but everyone did their part.

If you would like to read more about my Birth Story you can find it here Michael's Birth Story.

Once Michael was born (according to mom and Joe) all I was saying was… “I love him!” and “I can’t believe I just did that!” I was trying my best to soak up every second of the moment. After about 10 min Joe got to cut the umbilical cord. I think it wigged him out just a bit but he cut it like a champ. After that I passed Michael onto Joe. He was anxious to hold him I am sure. I didn’t want to be a baby hog though I could have held him all night! Joe got to take Michael to the scale to weigh him. He weighed in at 8lbs 10oz. Everyone said he was a hefty boy… but I am quite happy with his size; not too big and not too small in my opinion!



Jo cutting the cord!



Joe holding Michael for the first time


Weighing in at 8lbs 10oz

Grandma DiDi's first time with Michael

Auntie Ashley's first time with Michael

All cleaned up for the most part!

My Sleeping Boys

Everyone had left and the nurse stopped messing with me around 3 am so I was finally able to get some rest. I didn’t rest much actually. Michael slept between us and my adrenaline was still sky high. I closed my eyes for a few but I didn’t sleep at all.  At 6am Amber popped her head in to see if I was ok. She also informed me that Michael’s blood type was O-positive so I had to get another Rohgam shot. I find it quite comical that I was hoping to go throughout labor with little need for needles. As it turns out I had more than I wanted.
1.   Rohgam shot at week 28
2.      Had an iv put in my hand for antibiotics during labor
3.      A shot of Pitocin in my leg
4.      Lidocaine for stitches
5.      Stitches (I count that!)
6.      Lastly another Rohgam shot before we left the Birth Center
I got most of them in a 12 hour time frame!

Julie came to the Birth Center around 7am that morning. She brought us breakfast and took some photos. I did the same for her about a month prior and I was so delighted to have her there for us. I have made such a great friend in her that I was so excited to have her share in our excitement!





The Midwife came into the room to perform an exam on Michael to make sure he was healthy to go home. He did great and let her mess with him. She game him his first shot, vitamin K. Not a scream came from him. I sure hope he handles all his shots like that! Only time will tell.





No comments:

Post a Comment